…you are stunned each time that somebody thinks your Visa has expired because it is dated 04/09/2010.
Culture consists, in part, of the customs that you take for granted. So we know that we’re adapting to European culture (or Western European or French-inflected or whatever) when we’re surprised by how things are done in the good ole USA. Some more examples: You know you’ve settled into a European state of mind when…
- You find it unspeakably rude when, at a restaurant, your server brings you the check before you ask for it.
- “Of course it’s a topless beach. Why not?”
- You are uncomfortable when someone takes your credit card out of your sight.
- You get frustrated at having to sign a bill for small purchases with your credit card.
- You are excited to find a parking space within a quarter-mile of your destination.
We think of these little differences several times a week, and we’ll post more in the future. Guests of the B&B, what seemed alien to you about daily life in Ireland and Luxembourg?